Friday, December 1, 2017

Critical Reflection (Draft 2)

At the start of this module, I mentioned that I am weak in my speech and would often had to depend on visual aids to express myself. With that, the two goals I had set for myself were driven towards honing my presentation skills, namely; to express myself clearly without any visual aids and to be a more confident and effective speaker in front of a group of audience. 

Looking back on this 12-week journey of the effective communication module, I would say that I am closer to my two goals as I can see improvements on my oral presentation as compared to the past. I guess old habits die hard as I did not manage to overcome my weaknesses entirely as I still relied on the slides during my oral presentation to help me deliver my message. Upon reflecting, I realized that in order to improve on my oral presentation skills, I would have to start by working on the day to day oral communication I have with others. The shift would be, instead of using drawings to help me express my ideas, I will form my sentences in my mind before verbalizing it.

Apart from oral communication skills, I have learnt a lot during the project work as I picked up many new skills such as writing a problem statement and even meeting minutes which were totally new to me. Nonetheless, the most valuable takeaway from the module would be experiencing the fruits of a cooperative teamwork. Through the process of working on the group project, I learnt to embrace different ideas and opinions from each of my team members and our discussions often lead us to stretch our thinking which were enjoyable to me. Overall, I genuinely feel that this module served as a great learning platform for me to become a more effective speaker and writer. 

(310 words)

2 comments:

  1. Dear Claudia,

    First of all, I think you did fine for your oral presentation. You presented fluently with reference to some visual aids in the slides for the audience to relate what you're explaining. You might have viewed the slides sometimes during your speech which I think could be an area for improvement.

    I agree that old habits may be hard to change and it's something that all of us need to work on so as to gradually become better. It's great to see that you're humble and willing to take steps to improve yourself. That's something that all of us can learn from.

    All in all, I believe that you're good as long as you continue to believe in yourself and work towards becoming the type of speaker you like to be.

    Best regards,
    Jun Peng

    ReplyDelete